NASA Clickworkers will only collect information for internal use. There are several types of information we collect. These include:
- Automatically Collected Information
- Information Collected for Tracking and Customization (Cookies)
- Personal Information
- Annotations/Feedback ["Work Submission"?]
Automatically Collected Information
We collect and temporarily store certain technical information about your visit for use in site management and security purposes. This information includes:
- The IP address (a unique number for each computer connected to the Internet) from which you access our Web site,
- The type of browser (e.g., Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer) used to access our site,
- The operating system (Windows, Mac, Unix) used to access our site,
- The date and time you access our site,
- Your username, if it was used to log in to the Web site.
This information is used to help us make the site more useful for you. Futhermore, it helps us learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use.
Information Collected for Tracking and Customization (Cookies)
Personal information must be collected in order to
- determine the age of users for compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- keep track of the work done by users,
- customize the user environment to suit his/her needs and provide an enjoyable experience,
- perform analyses on submitted work,
- receive feedback to improve the user's experience and assess the effectiveness of Clickworkers.
The only forms of personal information we collect from participants are as follows:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- User name
Annotations and Feedback
The NASA Clickworkers site collects information through "work" [maybe find better term] submitted by participants. "Work" includes descriptions of clicks in the form of annotations to digital images or responses to questions and/or surveys relevant to the study. Individuals may decline to provide information and have the option to annonymously submit their work as a "guest."
The work will be used to 1) collect data, 2) verify existing data and 3) generate "validated data sets" [or however we'd like to call our final product] for use in research.
Providing Information to Third Parties
Information collected by Clickworkers will not be shared by third parties.
Interaction with Children
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) governs information gathering online from or about children under the age of 13. Verifiable consent from a child's parent or guardian is required before collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from a child under the age of 13.
No information is collected from children in identifiable form other than those gathered during registration.
Personal information about children under 13 years of age may be needed to respond to his/her communication to us, such as to receive a poster or to acquire information for a school project. Personal information about your child will be destroyed immediately upon completion of its intended purpose. If we were to collect any addiational information we will first obtain the necessary consent from the child's parent.
By COPPA, a parent may review information gathered from a child, have it be deleted, and/or refuse any further collection or use of information from the child. Please send such requests to:
Virginia Gulick (Virginia.C.Gulick@nasa.gov) NASA Ames Research Center Mail Stop 239-20 Moffett Field, CA 94035